State-of-the-art equipment for heavy duty projects
To enable the Metal Structures Centre’s mission in providing a complementary and specialised range of capabilities for metal structures engineering, from design and simulation, over processing and characterisation of materials and component testing, to the integration in the final application, the Metal Structures Centre is fully equipped to test and characterise your materials and components. The Metal Structures Centre facilities include:
- Specific test rig for wide plate or curved wide plate testing, with a capacity of 8000 kN. Customised rigs can be mounted on request, taking advantage of the reinforced floor.
- TIG, MIG/MAG, SAW (up to 5 wire), tandem/twin arc, magnetic pulse and friction welding.
- Resonant bending fatigue set-up for pipes.
- Multiple hydraulic machines, static or dynamic, with capacities between 100 and 2500 kN, with a specific large frame to accommodate components. Typical experiments include standard tensile tests, fatigue tests, corrosion fatigue tests, fracture mechanics testing (SENB/SENT/CT) and customised tests. Other standard tests include creep test, impact test (Charpy, Battell Drop Weight Tear test ), hardness, bending, etc.
- Versatile sour corrosion lab for standardised testing of hydrogen induced cracking (HIC) and sulphide stress cracking (SSC) test, including double cantilever beam test (SSC method D); mild-sour test capacity (both HIC and SSC) to simulate virtually any service condition; slow strain rate test; rigorous methodologies to ensure the integrity of the tests; different climate chambers for sweet environment accelerated testing; advanced post-tests analysis techniques, etc.
- Fully equipped coating lab simulating the complete process from pre-treatment to application to curing, using a wide range of technologies.
- Extensive characterisation methods for materials and coatings, including standard metallography, scanning electron microscopes with energy and wavelength dispersive X-ray analysis and electron backscatter diffraction (EDX/WDX/ EBSD) capacity, X-ray photoelectron spectrometry
- Small, medium and large scale tribotesters